Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Rainbow Swirl Cookies

I was so thrilled that Payton and Parker asked me to make their birthday cakes this year. They were both very specific in what they wanted (especially Parker Kate, who wanted a purple ombre littlest pet shop cake).  Payton however wanted a rainbow cake with turquoise frosting that looked very grown up, the addition of zebra print came after a trip to Michaels where she saw a sheet of Wilton's edible zebra print sugar sheets.  I also knew that I wanted to make these rainbow swirl cookies that I had seen over at Sprinkle Bakes.  The original cookies were red and flavoured with strawberry, I wanted these cookies to match Payton's cake so I coloured them turquoise and used a blue raspberry flavouring. 




2 cups cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup icing sugar
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp raspberry extract
1/2 tsp turquoise food colour
2 tbsp cake flour
Rainbow jumbo sprinkles

In a food processor combine the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and icing sugar, pulse to mix. Add the butter slowly, pulsing until combined. Add in the vanilla and process until the mixture forms a ball.

Divide the dough into 2, put one half back into the processor, add the raspberry flavouring and the turquoise food colour and the 2 tablespoons of flour and mix until combined.

Roll out the vanilla dough and the flavoured dough between wax paper, to form a rectangle around 11 x 8. Place the dough in the fridge for at least 2 hours.

Place the sprinkles into a large dish.  Remove the top sheet of wax paper from both doughs, carefully flip the coloured dough onto the vanilla dough, press together and remove the wax paper from the top.  Trim the edges and roll the dough starting with the long side, once rolled into a log place in the dish containing the sprinkles, roll in the sprinkles until completely covered. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 4 hours. 

When ready to bake, heat oven to 325.  Slice into 1/4 inch rounds and bake on a cookie sheet for 15 minutes.

I also made Payton some zebra print brownies.  Here's a picture of everything together.

 
Her sliced rainbow cake.



Just because I don't want to leave Miss Parker Kate out of this post, here is her littlest pet shop cake and the cookies I made for her.

 
Parker's sliced ombre cake.


 Thank you for asking me to make your cakes, girls.  I hope you liked them!

Pin It
 
Linked to: made in a day, mandatory mooch, mom on time out, two yellow birds, what's cooking, love?, craftionary, tutus and tea parties, i should be mopping the floor,

3 comments:

Adorned From Above said...

These cookies looks so pretty. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this and any other posts with everyone. It runs from Tuesday night through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/02/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-blog-hop_19.html
Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

Cindy said...

wow, I am impressed. These cookies are so happy. My grandchildren would love them! I would love a slice of that rainbow cake. You are so talented.

Michelle @ yagottahaveahobby said...

Love those cookies! The cake is awesome too. I wish I had baking talent! :)